It’s time for FDPL’s Teen Summer Reading Program! The theme for 2022 is Read Beyond the Beaten Path, so it’s all very outdoorsy and camping related. First, the specifics: Teen SRP starts on June 6th and runs through August 22nd. Anyone who has completed 6th grade through 12th grade can participate. There are two ways to sign up and participate this year: paper/in person AND online using the library’s myLIBRO app.
Prize information, or, the yummy stuff. When you’ve read 4 hours, you can come to the Reference Desk and get some candy. When you’ve read 8 hours, you can come get a $5 Dariette gift card. When you’ve read 12 hours, you get a Snack Shack gift card for $7.50. Once you’ve read more than 12 hours, every log will be entered into the grand prize drawing–a vintage National Parks poster puzzle and a Kindle Fire.
This year our weekly trivia questions are all nature related–one includes one of my favorite animals. The prize for that is a $5 gift card to Tropical Smoothie. One Liners are also back, with a weekly prize of a drawstring backpack and a day pass to Rosedale Rapids. Where on Earth is Ozworld is also back, and this year he has a tent to go camping! The weekly prize for that is a $5 gift card to Taco Tico and a collapsible water bottle.
Program information, or, the fun stuff:
- Campfire Story Contest–The best part of camping is telling spooky stories around a campfire. Write your best (original) spooky campfire story and bring it to the Reference Desk by 1:00 p.m. on July 30th. Library staff will read the entries and pick our favorites in three age groups: 12-14; 15-17; 18-19. Winners will be announced on August 22nd and will get a fabulous prize.
- June 20th from 5:30-7:30 p.m., we will have a trail mix bar–come in and make your own special trail mix. We’ll have bags and a variety of trail mix ingredients.
- July 9th at 10:00 a.m. is kindness rocks–paint rocks with fun designs or encouraging messages.
- July 30th at 10:00 a.m. is a make your own terrarium program–registration is required by July 15th. We’ll provide supplies including a plant and some small decor.
- August 6th at 10:00 a.m. is sun print art–using light sensitive paper and random objects, we’ll make art outside.
Fort Dodge Public Library’s Teen Summer Reading Program is brought to you courtesy of the Friends of the Library.